Militants storm hotel in Somalia’s capital, at least 20 killed in gunfire with security forces | CBC News

0
0


Islamic militants have stormed a hotel in Somalia’s capital, engaging in an hours-long exchange of fire with security forces that left at least 20 people dead, according to police and witnesses.

At least 40 people were also wounded in the late Friday night attack and security forces rescued many others, including children, from the scene at Mogadishu’s popular Hayat Hotel, they said Saturday.

The attack started with explosions outside the hotel before the gunmen entered the building.

Somali forces were still trying to end the siege of the hotel almost 24 hours after the attack started. Gunfire could still be heard Saturday evening as security forces tried to contain the last gunmen thought to be holed up on the hotel’s top floor.

Somali security officers cordon off a section of Hayat Hotel, the scene of a militant attack in Mogadishu on Saturday. (Feisal Omar/Reuters)

The Islamic extremist group al-Shabaab, which has ties with al-Qaeda, claimed responsibility for the attack, the latest of  al-Shabaab’s attempts to strike places visited by government officials. The hotel siege is the first major attack in Mogadishu since Somalia’s new leader, Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, took over in May.

In a Twitter post, the U.S. Embassy in Somalia said it “strongly condemns” the attack on the Hayat.

“We extend condolences to the families of loved ones killed, wish a full recovery to the injured, & pledge continued support for #Somalia to hold murderers accountable & build when others destroy,” it said.

There was no immediate word on the identities of the victims, but many are believed to be civilians.

Mohamed Abdirahman, director of Mogadishu’s Madina Hospital, told The Associated Press that 40 people were admitted with wounds or injuries. While nine were sent home after getting treatment, five were in critical condition in the intensive-care unit (ICU), he said.

“We were having tea near the hotel lobby when we heard the first blast, followed by gunfire. I immediately rushed toward hotel rooms on the ground floor and I locked the door,” witness Abdullahi Hussein said by phone. “The militants went straight upstairs and started shooting. I was inside the room until the security forces arrived and rescued me.”

He said that on his way to safety, he saw “several bodies lying on the ground outside hotel reception.”

Image taken from video shows smoke rising in Mogadishu on Saturday during the siege of the Hayat Hotel. (Reuters)

Al-Shabaab remains the most lethal Islamic extremist group in Africa.

The group has seized even more territory in recent years, taking advantage of rifts among Somali security personnel as well as disagreements between the government seat in Mogadishu and regional states. It remains the biggest threat to political stability in the volatile Horn of Africa nation.

Forced to retreat from Mogadishu in 2011, al-Shabaab is slowly making a comeback from the rural areas to which it retreated, defying the presence of African Union peacekeepers as well as U.S. drone strikes targeting its fighters.

The militants in early May attacked a military base for AU peacekeepers outside Mogadishu, killing many Burundian troops. The attack came just days before the presidential vote that returned Mohamud to power five years after he had been voted out.



Source link

Previous articleXiaomi cuts over 900 jobs amid global downturn: Report
Next articleKCR Attacks NDA Govt Over Telangana’s Share of Krishna Water, Following ‘Anti-people’ Policies
SATARK NEWS ENGLISH was launched in 2020. And in just a few months, it became the famous English news website in India and abroad. And now we publish with three different languages English, Hindi, and Urdu.